Jun 07, 2022
Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience Researcher, AFRL
US Air Force Research Laboratory
Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience Researcher, DR-0180, 401, 858-02, 711 HPW/RHBCN
Join our team of science and engineering professionals in providing world-class research and solutions for the US Air Force and US Space Force!
$80,854 - $126,961
This announcement will be accepting candidate submission until 21 June 2022
The 711 Human Performance Wing (HPW) advances human performance in air, space, and cyberspace through research, education, and consultation. The Wing supports the most critical Air Force resource - the operational military forces. The Cognitive Neuroscience Section needs to fill the DR-02, Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience Researcher position.
Position Duties include; but are not limited to:
- Researcher who uses originality in developing innovative approaches to solving complex issues in the area of cognitive/behavioral neuroscience. Specific duties include organizing, implementing, and executing innovative research programs in these disciplines.
- Applies knowledge of cognitive/behavioral neuroscience to analyze and resolve multifaceted issues/problems with minimal guidance.
- Discusses novel concepts and significant departures from previous practices with supervisor or team leader.
- Provides information to peers, senior technical leaders, and/or managers within and beyond own organization to influence scientific decisions or recommend solutions to identified problems.
- Plans and carries out work that is well aligned with organizational goals (i.e. cognitive and physical performance augmentation).
- Designs and supports all aspects of experiments involving cognitive/behavioral neuroscience human subjects research, including behavioral testing, sample collection, and analysis.
- Collaborates with potential customers and other leaders in cognitive/behavioral neuroscience to develop strategies for effective execution of the scientific portfolio.
- Works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological hazards.
- As an experiment lead, develops specific timelines for experiments, submits protocols to and complies with the 711 Human Performance Wing Institutional Review Board, coordinates and directs the work of team members supporting the experiments, and works closely with fellow experiment leads to actively manage costs and share resources as needed to ensure the successful and timely completion of projects.
- Interacts with customers and outside organizations to collaborate, and leverage external technologies and resources.
- Demonstrates effective speaking skills for advanced briefings, tailoring scientific presentations to the audience to facilitate understanding.
- Documents work, authors peer-reviewed papers, and makes professional presentations.
Yes, this position is eligible for telework opportunities; as determined by agency policy
Remote Work (CONUS): No, this position is not approved for remote work.
Remote Work (Multiple Potential Duty Locations): The duty location for this position can be at the below Duty Locations. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty at Wright Patterson AFB, OH
Maximum Telework Flexibilities: The duty location for this position is listed below, however, this position is eligible for maximum telework flexibilities. Telework options can be negotiated and implemented after entrance on duty.
- US Citizen
- This position may be filled as a 5-year Flexible Length and Renewable Term Technical Appointment (new government hires, current government term employees, etc.) with the option to later convert to a permanent appointment.
- Specialized Experience Statement: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade of position being advertised, or equivalent in other pay systems
- Security Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain Secret
- Must Possess a professional science or engineering (S&E) degree from an accredited academic institution
- Psychology Series 0180 (opm.gov)
- General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences Series 0401 (opm.gov)
- Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering Series 0858 (opm.gov)
- This is an Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP) positions, requires Foundational Level. The selectee will have 24 months to meet APDP requirements or waiver must be obtained
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: To ensure compliance with an applicable nationwide preliminary injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a Federal job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- Knowledge of Air Force operations, objectives, principles, and methods
- Knowledge or experience with Brain Machine Interface technologies, Artificial Intelligence, and/or Machine Learning
- Experience with human subjects research and the Institutional Review Board process
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask with strong organizational skills
- Experience in mission, major issues, program goals and objectives, work processes, and operations of the Airman Systems Directorate
- Knowledge of management and organizational principles and practices
- Strong leadership to mentor and develop other military and government civilian personnel
- Background in organizing, coordinating, and executing team assignments
- A doctorate degree in a relevant field
(Requisition No 18939)